Thousands of hardworking, taxpaying immigrant workers are participating in marches and rallies in cities across the U.S. today, standing up for the rights of the 99% by calling for good jobs and justice for workers and immigrants. SEIU is marching for an America that if fair to immigrants, an America where prosperity is shared, and an America where the rights of all people are respected.
From Boston to New York, to Los Angeles, to Seattle and points in between, many SEIU members will be carrying the messages: “We are the 99%” and “I Vote for Immigrants Justice” — statements that define SEIU’s mobilization efforts as members march towards the November election.
“The 1% increases its wealth on the backs of the 99%, and the 1% profits from the politics of division. They blame the struggling economy on immigrant workers as a way to turn U.S. workers against immigrants. But don’t forget: As long as the politics of fear and division goes unchecked, it is the 1% that profits while the rest of us — the 99% – get thrown under the bus,” said Eliseo Medina, SEIU’s International Secretary-Treasurer. “We have to stop that and stop it now. We have the power to do it by marching to the polls on Nov. 6 and voting for leaders who will uphold our nation’s values.
“ The 1% has the ability to invest in good jobs, but its greediness keeps them sitting on cash while demanding that Congress extend tax cuts for rich.
Workers know the score, and it will be delivered on Election Day. Meanwhile, SEIU will stay true to our mission — to unite all working people for a better future that includes an end to exploitation and discrimination against workers and immigrants.