SEIU Healthcare 775NW
SEIU Healthcare 775NW is a fast-growing union committed to uniting the strength of long term care workers and improving the lives of working people. In the past 3 years, SEIU Healthcare 775NW has organized over 5,000 new members. We are seeking a Montana organizer to both develop current leaders and help unorganized workers unite in our union.
The work of organizers at SEIU Healthcare 775NW includes:
- Helping engage home care workers, developing workers’ leadership skills, mobilizing workers around issues and politics, and carrying out the goals of the union.
- Mentoring, coaching, teaching, and fostering the talents of our members, who are low-wage home care and nursing home workers.
- Helping workers form a union by house-visiting workers, identifying and developing leaders, and mobilizing members and the community to support pro-worker legislation.
Organizers work on campaigns throughout the state of Montana, and occasionally participate on campaigns in other states. Previous experience in union organizing is desirable, but a variety of career or volunteer experience may suit you to begin a career as an organizer. Experience with the following types of employers is highly significant: social justice organizations, labor unions, progressive issue advocacy organizations, community and social service organizations, political campaigns and elected officials.
- A drivers’ license, a reliable car, automobile insurance, and a cell phone with regional coverage are all requirements of this position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are requirements of this position. Basic computer literacy and a willingness and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools are a requirement.
Willingness to work long, irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, is required.
- Willingness and ability to travel is a requirement, including frequent travel within Montana and occasional travel throughout WA and other locations, including overnight travel.
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and ability to work with people from other cultures and backgrounds are necessary skills.
- The ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment are considered key components to achieving organizer performance standards.
- The organizer must reside within the assigned turf.
SEIU Healthcare 775NW is committed to providing staff development opportunities and resources. We recognized that the majority of an organizer’s skill development happens through on through on the job experience, especially in the first year of employment. This position has advancement opportunities to a Senior Organizer position.
Compensation: Salary and benefits set by collectively bargained contract; pay ranges from $39,050 to $50, 200 (actual offer based on experience). Benefits include fully employer-paid family health and dental benefits, fully employer-paid defined benefit SEIU pension, generous leave package, car and gas allowance, cell phone allowance, more.
Requirements include: Personal commitment to the mission and goals of SEIU Healthcare 775NW is a requirement of this position (see www.seiu775.org and www.seiu.org).
To Apply: Send a resume, cover letter, 3 references and salary history to email@example.com. Please reference Montana Organizer in the subject line of the e-mail. www.seiu775.org